The rumor that Megalyn Echikunwoke didn’t return as Cassie in Supernatural because she is difficult to work with is DEBUNKED.
We have found no sources claiming that Megalyn Echikunwoke was difficult to work with.
Kripke’s even said that Cassie was a bad idea as well. Great on paper but poor in the execution, even though he loved Megalyn. Same with Jo. Bad character, lovely actress.
The original post is, however, unavailable, and we cannot find any direct sources for Kripke’s dislike of the Cassie character (the OP in the forum mentions not knowing what the source is either).
Supernatural Creator Eric Kripke (and others) do discuss dislike of the Route 666 episode in various places. In Supernatural: The Official Companion - Season 1, Kripke says:
Because we couldn’t afford a whole episode of car chases, which is what I really would’ve liked, we had to fill it out with a story. We came up with this plot about the racist truck, which looking back is totally ridiculous.
And (then) Executive Producer John Shiban says:
The drama was not as strong as the coolness of the ghost truck. What happens on the road is all nice and scary, but I just didn’t think that story held together. There’s a lot of pressure, obviously, from networks to have a romance. It’s tricky on our show. They’re so much the guys who come into town, solve the problem, and move on. The minute you start giving them roots beyond the family, I think it starts to stretch the franchise in a way that just doesn’t work, that doesn’t feel right. They’re professionals, they’re superheroes, they’re on a mission. And the minute they turn away from that mission, it can diminish them as characters if you’re not really careful. Why aren’t you saving people? You’re having sex, you’re having fun, you’re enjoying yourself, you should be stopping the monster.
But there are no comments about the actress; or even about the shoot being difficult in any way. Location Manager Russ Hamilton is even quoted as saying:
It seems everyone had fun on this shoot. Route 666 was a riot to work on.
(Quotes taken from here.)
And because it’s only fair, here are the episodes I DON’T like: Season 1’s “Hookman,” “Bugs” and “Route 666”; Season 2’s “No Exit”; and Season 3’s “Red Sky at Morning.” Sometimes, you try things that just don’t work at all, and because of our time and budget, you don’t have the time to go back and re-do them, you have no choice but to air them in their deformed state, and so you have to live with millions of people watching your mistakes. You have no idea how painful that is.
However, none of the sources even hint at any difficulty working with Megalyn. Therefore, this rumor is DEBUNKED. If you know of information we’ve missed regarding this rumor, or if you have a question about anything Supernatural-facts-related, please send it to us!
- It’s possible that Cassie did not return due to Kripke’s dislike of the episode she was in, and therefore his lack of interest (as a showrunner) in her storyline.
- We’ve had some difficulty finding reliable sources for this rumor since it pertains to the first season. If anyone remembers anything from a few years ago that we’ve missed, we’d love to hear it!
- We’re sorry it took so long to answer this one—thanks for you patience during GISHWHES!
29 Notes/ Hide
- denouemnt likes this
- justatinysootsprite likes this
- from-nowhere-to-somewhere likes this
- autisticdean likes this
- greatrunner likes this
- oh-no-cheese-please likes this
- noirewallflower reblogged this from fandomdebunker
- noirewallflower likes this
- dgcatanisiri reblogged this from spikeghost
- triciacoronel reblogged this from fandomdebunker
- spikeghost reblogged this from nonbinaryanders
- thewonderofliving likes this
- mathiaskohler likes this
- mccalldolaon likes this
- nonbinaryanders reblogged this from fandomdebunker
- dblackattack15 likes this
- mashiere reblogged this from fandomdebunker
- bloodied-fallen-angel reblogged this from fandomdebunker
- myasylumisbetter reblogged this from fandomdebunker
- snowlantern likes this
- sokuter likes this
- triciacoronel likes this
- schroedingerscas likes this
- morgans-movie-mania likes this
- ollygollymolly reblogged this from fandomdebunker
- ollygollymolly likes this
- fandomdebunker posted this